Tuesday, January 8, 2013

And another thing

I read a blog today from a very observant man, who talked about the importance of 'listening' and to that I would add 'observing'. Our lives tend to make us impatient these days, full of opinions, and ideas. Many of us have lost the art of listening. As a designer, and especially in the context of therapeutic gardens, listening is all important. Listening to what the client is really asking for; the small item (and it usually is) that amongst everything else is the one essential, without which their garden has no meaning. The particular flower, the certain colour, the tiny momento of another time, or life (particularly in the case of brain injury). I often say that my clients are the designers - I just create with their thoughts. And listening is a huge part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment